Follow me across America!

Follow me across America!
Follow me across America!

Monday, October 19, 2015

A Gift Of Memories

We had three full days in Tokyo before we boarded our ship in Yokahama for a 32 day cruise of Asia and Australia. That first full day in Tokyo, we woke up to a nasty weather report that a typhoon named Vong Fong was making landfall that afternoon in Japan.

Our plans had been to travel by bullet train that morning, then by private car, from Tokyo to Hakone, where we would stay one night in Hakone and then return to Tokyo. It was all part of something very special that had been in the planning stages beginning months prior. Looked like the typhoon was going to change things. But...before I go any further, let's turn back the time to those few months of planning prior to this trip and let me explain the significance behind Hakone. 
When Rick and I knew we were going to Tokyo, I had decided to pull out a box of old pictures, postcards, etc. I inherited that belonged to my grandfather, who passed away in 1994. The box was full of memorabilia he had saved from the time he was in Japan during World War II. Grandpa had been stationed in Hakone, Japan, as a Mess Sergeant and worked at a hotel called the Fujiya, which became a special hotel for the Allied Powers, especially the U.S. There he helped kitchen staff and oversaw special events held at the hotel during the war. 

Among the many photos in the box, I found one of U.S. General Dwight Eisenhower (below - 2nd from the right in the forefront) and U.S. General Robert Eichelberger (below - 5th from the right in the forefront with bent knee) standing at the koi pond located on the Fujiya Hotel premises. I later verified the identity of these two Generals in the photo through email communication I initiated with an archivist at the Dwight Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum. Many of the pictures, postcards, etc. saved by grandpa were of the Fujiya Hotel dating back to the 1940's. 
My grandfather was a man not easily impressed but when he talked about this period in his life to me when I was much younger, I witnessed the obvious happiness it gave him and how clearly he treasured those memories. 

Well, amongst all of the memorabilia, I also came across an envelope addressed to my grandfather on Fujiya Hotel stationery. Inside was a letter dated 1946 from the then Managing Director of the Fujiya named K.M. Yamaguchi. In the letter, Mr. Yamaguchi expressed a deep respect for my grandfather and a friendship not easily given. Out of the letter fell a business card with a handwritten message on it inviting my grandfather (and grandmother) back to the Fujiya Hotel after the war, compliments of Mr. Yamaguchi. Unfortunately, my grandparents never made it back to Japan.

The memory of my grandfather and the contents of the letter inspired me. I decided, on a whim, to research the Fujiya Hotel in Hakone and see if it still existed. To my happiness, the Fujiya was still around and thriving. It was founded in 1878 and appeared to be as grand as ever. Over the years, they have hosted an Emperor and Empress, an Archduke of Austria, a German Ambassador, Generals, Heads of State, Prime Ministers, a famous singer, actor and even Helen Keller. Believe it or not, the hotel actually had a museum on site too. 
So, not really knowing what to say or what to expect, I reached out to the hotel via email and told them the story of my grandfather and of the photos, postcards, etc. and letter I had in my possession. My email found its way to a representative in the reservation department who then put me in touch with their Concierge. That is how Mr. Michiaki Orita of Concierge (below) at the Fujiya Hotel in Hakone and I first began corresponding.
Mr. Orita became aware of my plans to visit Tokyo and my limited time there before embarking on my cruise. He invited Rick and I to come to the Fujiya and stay a night as the guests of the hotel, and included dinner and breakfast. He gave me transportation information about the bullet train from Tokyo to Odawara Station. Once at Odawara, Mr. Orita arranged for their driver to pick us up and take us to the Fujiya in Hakone. The entire trip would take about one and a half hours one way.
I spoke to my mom and dad about my chance to stay at the Fujiya and visit the place I had heard so much about from grandpa. With their consent, I then made the decision to donate the box of pictures, postcards, etc. including the letter to the Fujiya museum in the name of my grandfather.

Reaching out to Mr. Orita, I accepted his invitation to stay at the Fujiya and informed him of the gift I wanted to offer, in person, during my visit to the hotel. I also thanked him for this amazing, once in a lifetime opportunity to revisit the past and continue to share with the future. Later, Mr. Orita advised me the Fujiya had reserved space in their museum for my family's gift. I was blown away by the kind gestures of this wonderful hotel and its staff. What had started as a spontaneous moment turned into a dream of a lifetime. I knew then that generations to come would enjoy these items and that they would be well cared for.

Now, back to Typhoon Vong Fong. The storm surged towards Japan so Mr. Orita and I agreed the trip to the Fujiya had to be cancelled. The trains were predicted to stop running and the weather could present a hazard for any travel. However, Mr. Orita said he would send a representative of the Fujiya to meet with me in Tokyo at our hotel that afternoon. So, at 2:00 p.m. in our hotel lobby, Rick and I met Mr. Nobuaki Higashi, the Manager of Compliance and Public Relations of the Fujiya. He was wonderful and it was such a pleasure to spend time with him. When we learned that Mr. Higashi commuted for three long hours one way in the storm to see us, we were so humbled and so amazed. 

I presented my grandfather's memorabilia in a red leather valise and handed it over to the Fujiya Hotel in the care of Mr. Higashi. According to Mr. Higashi, this was the first time something like this has ever happened in the 136 year history of the Fujiya.
  
We spent an easy two hours with Mr. Higashi talking and sharing information. He presented me with several gift items as a show of gratitude from the Fujiya including: a copy of the book "We Japanese" prepared by H.S.K Yamaguchi, former Managing Director of the Fujiya from 1907 - 1944, which is all about the customs, manners, ceremonies, festivals, arts and crafts of the Japanese for the enlightenment of the hotel guests; an assortment of coffee, tea and biscuits exclusively made and sold by the Fujiya; some pamphlets and brochures about the hotel and its history and a picture booklet from 2008 celebrating the hotel's 130th anniversary.

The most fascinating thing of all was a package of pictures Mr. Higashi gave me. They were duplicates of some recent finds from their archives depicting life at the Fujiya during the time my grandfather would have been stationed there. One particular photo was a group shot of hotel staff and army personnel taken at the Fujiya sometime during the late 1940's. Mr. Higashi enlarged that one photo for me, thinking I would find it interesting. Seated in the front row in the photo, and unbeknown to Mr. Higashi, sat my grandfather! I couldn't believe my eyes (red arrow below points to my grandfather). 
That was a day I will never forget. It will take some time for the Fujiya to sort and research the memorabilia I have provided them. I have stayed in contact with Mr. Orita and Mr. Higashi since that day. Once they have completed this time consuming task, they have promised to send me photos of the museum display they have created so that I can share it with family.

This is a very tiny sampling of some of the pictures that were donated to the Fujiya Museum:
  
  
October 19, 2015: this is an update to this story. The display at the Fujiya Hotel Museum has been finalized. Below are pictures depicting the new home of my grandfather's photos on display for future generations to enjoy, in his memory. 

This is Mr. Michiaki Orita, Director of Hotel Concierge at the Fujiya Hotel. He gestures towards the gold plaque that greets visitors to the Fujiya Hotel Museum.  
The photo below shows the memorial to grandpa and some of his best pictures. The white placard against the glass (forefront) translates into English to read:

"Mr. Frank H. Rhein used to work at the Fujiya Hotel during the requisitioned era. He treasured these photographs and took them back to America with him. There he kept them as part of his memories of his lifetime. Unfortunately, he passed away in 1994. Afterwards, his granddaughter Mrs. Karri Conover visited Japan in October, 2014. Upon that occasion, she donated these valuable photographs, which her grandfather saved, to the hotel. Please enjoy these valuable photographs in his memory."

My family and I would like to say "thank you" to the Fujiya Hotel, Mr. Michiaki Orita and Mr. Nobuaki Higashi for all of the kindness and attention they have given this occasion. We are very grateful. It is clear to see why my grandfather loved this place so much and why he cherished those memories. The Fujiya Hotel has not lost any of its grandeur over all these years.

Continue the journey...click on this link: Asia and Australia 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment